How To Replace Your Virginia Drivers License
If your Virginia drivers license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you'll need to get it replaced immediately. We offer links to resources that will save you time and get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.
Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a DMV office
If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.
Replacing Your Virginia Drivers License
You can replace your Virginia drivers license online or in person. Here are some forms and a detailed checklist to replace your Virginia drivers license.
- You may replace your license online unless:
- You learners permit or license is expired, cancelled, suspended or revoked
- Your ID was issued prior to 2004
- You need to change your name
- You owe money to the DMV
- You are under 18
- Your ID card has a profile picture
- You surrendered your ID card to another state
- Your customer number on file needs verification
- You have already made an online request today
- You are required to prove legal presence
The DMV will use your existing photograph on your replacement license if it has been lost or stolen.
Locate a DMV or customer service center near you.
Complete the application at the office or print it out.
- Present two identification documents. If you are under 19, you only need one document. All acceptable documents are located here: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf
- Prove legal presence if you haven’t done so before and it hasn’t expired
- You are considered “grandfathered-in” if you got a learner’s permit prior to 01/01/04, and you wont need to prove legal presence.
- If your license is suspended or canceled you’ll need to prove legal presence.
If you apply in person for a replacement, a new photograph will be taken.
What is an Adult Drivers License?
In some states, the layout of your drivers license may change when you reach a certain age. It is possible for your license to switch from a vertical design to a horizontal card once you turn 21. You may want to seek out a duplicate or replacement adult drivers license when you reach the age of 21.
For a list of related services, please see below: