Name Change On A Virginia Drivers License
Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state DMV recommends that you change the name on your Virginia drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.
Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a DMV office
If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.
Changing Your Name on Your Virginia Drivers License
You may need the following documents when changing your name on your license:
- Marriage document
- Divorce decree
- Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or court-ordered name change
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States).
Download, print and fill out the Virginia drivers license name change application, and take or mail with the required documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be originals.
For More Information
Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235
- Take your proof of your name change with you and go to your local DMV office in Virginia
- Use the interactive document guide if you aren’t sure what to bring with you. Follow the steps it provides you: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/documentbuilder/intro.aspx
Document List: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf
Proof of name change can include:
- Marriage certificate, license or register
- Divorce decree if the decree states the change from married name to maiden name.
- Copy of the court order granting the name change.
- You cаn use these documents and not your SSN card if it hasn’t been updated yet. Be sure to change your SSN as soon as possible.
All documents you provide must be originals.
- Change your name on your Virginia CDL license here.
- Change your name on your Virginia Car Title here.
- Change your name on your Virginia Car Registration here.