Virginia Drivers License Change of Address
Have you recently moved to Virginia, or have you changed residences within the state? The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) recommends that you update this information as soon as possible. We've collected information to help save you time when changing the address on your drivers license in Virginia. Select from the options below to get started.
Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a DMV office
If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.
You can change your address on your Virginia drivers license online or in person.
Make sure to have your Social Security number and birthdate when changing your address online. This will allow you to use the online system to change your address or receive your forms and checklist.
You may need some of the following documents to prove your new address.
Use the interactive document guide here if you aren’t sure what to bring. Follow these steps to change your address in person:
- Notify the DMV within 30 days of the address change. Provide the DMV the street name of your original residence; post office boxes are not accepted.
- You cаn have an alternate address on your license as long as this is also in Virginia.
- If your address is outside the state then the license will be cancelled.
- Some exceptions may apply to military personnel on active duty and those employed outside of the state.
Changing Your Address When Moving From Another State
If you have recently moved from another state, you might want to consider acquiring a new license in order to reflect your new address. For more information on changing your address on your new drivers license, click here.
- Change your address on your Virginia CDL license here.
- Change your address on your Virginia Car Title here.
- Change your address on your Virginia Car Registration here.